Theocracy is the worst of all governments. If we must have a tyrant, a robber baron is far better than an inquisitor. The baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity at some point be sated; and since he dimly knows he is doing wrong he may possibly repent. But the inquisitor who mistakes his own cruelty and lust of power and fear for the voice of Heaven will torment us infinitely because he torments us with the approval of his own conscience and his better impulses appear to him as temptations.
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
John F. Kennedy
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others.
A totalitarian state is in effect a theocracy, and its ruling caste, in order to keep its position, has to be thought of as infallible. But since, in practice, no one is infallible, it is frequently necessary to rearrange past events in order to show that this or that mistake was not made, or that this or that imaginary triumph actually happened.
I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal, hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
In Iran, there is no freedom of the press, no freedom of speech, no independent judiciary, no free elections. There is no freedom of religion - not even for Shiites, who are forced by Irans theocracy to adhere to one narrow set of official rules.
No one expects this nation to become a theocracy, where Christianity is the only value, but we do indeed say that the essential values and founding principles of the nation should not be ignored.
I don't know of a single instance of these Arab freedom fighters holding up pictures of bin Laden. I know many instances of them displaying American flags in Benghazi or painting 'Facebook' on their foreheads in Cairo. The idea of freedom . . . is absolutely contradictory to what bin Laden stood for, which was . . . taking Muslims back to some medieval theocracy and encouraging people to die not for freedom but to go to paradise and to kill innocent people along the way. The contrast is really striking.
This is a perfect snapshot of the West at twilight. On the one hand, governments of developed nations microregulate every aspect of your life in the interests of 'keeping you safe.' ... On the other hand, when it comes to 'keeping you safe' from real threats, such as a millenarian theocracy that claims universal jurisdiction, America and its allies do nothing. ... It is now certain that Tehran will get its nukes, and very soon. This is the biggest abdication of responsibility by the Western powers since the 1930s.
This is one thing that's very interesting, how the people on the left always talk about separation of church and state. When you look at the theocracies all across the Middle East, where we look at constitutions that are based upon the Qur'an, I don't think you want to see that happening in the United States of America. So it is a theocratic political construct.
Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.
It has been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity.
When the representative body have lost the confidence of their constituents, when they have notoriously made sale of their most valuable rights, when they have assumed to themselves powers which the people never put into their hands, then indeed their continuing in office becomes dangerous to the state.
The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite.
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities.
I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- > Home
- > Books
- > Waupaca Wisconsin Books
- > Waupaca Employment
- > Waupaca Entertainment
- > Waupaca Events
- > Waupaca, Gifts & Memorabilia
- > Waupaca Wisconsin History
- > Waupaca Hotels, Motels, & Lodging
- > Waupaca Maps
- > Waupaca News
- > Waupaca Recreation
- > Waupaca Sports
- > Waupaca Weather
- > Chain O' Lakes Video Tour
- > Chain O' Lakes in Fall
- > Chain O' Lakes in Winter
- > Chain O' Lakes in Spring
- > Chain O' Lakes in Summer
- > Deer On Columbia Lake Ice Video
- > Emmons Creek
- > Emmons Creek Video
- > Hartman Creek State Forest
- > Micelaneous Landscape Photos
- > Neon Lighted Beer Signs
- > Sunrising over Limekiln Lake
- > Radley & Murry Creeks
- > Sasha The Great! Photos & Videos
- > Sasha Running Laps Around Rock Garden
- > Sasha in Deep Snow Video!
- > Skunk & Foster Lake Trail Tour
- > Turkeys in Waupaca, WI Video
- > Sunrise & Sunset Photos
- > Waupaca Farm Photos
- > Waupaca or Tomorrow River
- > Business News
- > World News
- > Contact
- > Fiat Money in a Rigged and Fake Capitalist US Economy 1913 to 2019!
- > Our Road To Economic Hell Was Paved For US With Good Intentions, Socialism
- > Who Let the Genie out of the Bottle America?
- > The Biased News Media!
- > War and The Collection and Dissemination of Information!
- > What Size Should the US Government be?
- > Slave Made Products Sold in America?
- > City of Hong Kong Protests Against Communist Chinese Rulers
- > The American Health Care Crisis
- > The American Pharmaceutical Rip Off
- > The Right To Use God's Plants for Pain
- > Freedom For All People
- > Who Has Legal Due Process in America?
- > The American Destroyers!
- > We Reap What We Sow America!
- > One Molecule Different Than Naure!
- > What Happens When Our Freedoms & Property Are Taken Away by Socialist Legislators?
- > Education
- > Fishing with Ron
- > Freedom & Liberty
- > Healthcare
- > Library Research Tools
- > Life
- > Music
- > Short Stories & Poetry
- > Politics
- > Theology
- > Science